British Gas has launched its Warm Home Promise to address misgivings over domestic heat pump installations.
The Electrification of Heat Demonstration project, funded by the then Department of Energy, Security and Industrial strategy (BEIS) found a number of disincentives for people to have heat pumps installed in their homes, including, disruption, cost and space.
The promise launched yesterday (10 May) aims to reassure customers that may be hesitant to make the switch to a heat pump and bolster the technology’s uptake in the UK.
The Warm Home Promise includes:
- Five year guarantee – on all British Gas heat pumps alongside a free service before winter to ensure heat pump efficiency
- Lowest cost install – Heat pump installation costs in Scotland start at £499 and £2,999 for the rest of the UK. But the company will match lower prices offered by MCS certified installers
- Quick install – British Gas engineers will survey properties before installation to ensure a smoother installation process
- Warm home guarantee – British Gas won’t install a heat pump if it can’t efficiently heat your home on the coldest days and it won’t install a heat pump in homes that would be better warmed by traditional gas boilers
- Expert advice – on the day of installation an installer will show how to operate the heat pump and check in a few days later to ensure the transition is running smoothly
“Heat pumps are an important part of helping the UK lower its home emissions to reach our net zero targets so we are doing all we can to increase take up. We recognise that the transition from a boiler to a heat pump can be daunting and want to reassure our customers that they can effectively heat their home, even through the coldest spells in Winter. Our engineers are ready to guide consumers through this process and we are making sure they are as affordable and accessible as possible,” said Andrew Middleton, managing director of British Gas Zero.
“For the right home, heat pumps are a highly efficient and effective heating solution being typically 350% efficient compared to the best boilers at 90 – 95%. At British Gas we will only install a heat pump if it will work as well as a traditional boiler. And if for any reason a customer’s heat pump is not heating their home as expected, we’ll guarantee them their money back.”